Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My Atheism, Science, Ghosts, and the Soul...

I'm occasionally asked about my opinion on religion or to explain my atheism. Before I explain my own, personal, beliefs... Let me include these two short lists.

Atheism is NOT...

  • Atheism is NOT a hatred of "God"
  • Atheism is NOT a rebellion against "God" or Religion
  • Atheism is NOT a Religion of its own making
  • Atheism is NOT the Absence of Conscience
Religion is NOT or DOES NOT...
  • Religion DOES NOT provide a provable or even probable explanation to any naturally occurring event found in existence today or ever.
  • Religion IS NOT a compass for moral integrity
  • Religion DOES NOT provide a reasonable outlook upon the world for the ethical treatment of our fellow men, woman, children, or the Earth itself
  • RELIGION DOES NOT have the ability to defend itself against its own fallacies or contradictions
For me, Atheism is simply the ability to live life independently of (any) religion. It is the ability to do what is right simply because it is right and not for the benefit of following stigmatic dogma or socially accepted expectations. 

With that said, I'll move on to both Science and the Soul. I do not believe that believing in one automatically excludes the other from your life. On the contrary, I believe that Science may one day explain the Soul. I also believe that Einstein already touched upon it. After a little bit of research, this idea (which I'll explain in a little more detail momentarily), I formed my opinions and personal beliefs around some of Einstein's. I won't pretend to have researched enough to know that all of the quotes I found were genuinely his and, therefore, I will not share them. What I will share, however, are the beliefs that I, myself, hold.

Yes, I believe there is a Soul. However, I do not believe it is quite the same as what most religions preach. It is a known fact that our minds can be defined and described quite literally as a set of electrical impulses that flow through our Nervous System. That mind is that one thing that genuinely sets us all apart from each other and is what I would consider the Soul. Now, keep in mind (no pun intended) that our minds are ELECTRICAL impulses. Electricity is a form of energy. As we know, or have yet to disprove, energy CAN NOT be destroyed; it can only change form. So, when we find ourselves departed, what happens to that energy? If it can not be destroyed, then it has changed form as all energy does. Who is to say that we have discovered all the existing forms of energy? Our bodies eventually can no longer support our minds; we die and the energy is released. If there is an Afterlife, I believe it is whatever the mind/soul experiences in its new form.

Do you believe in Ghosts? I do. I do and it is because this theory brings another to point to be made. If our bodies are holding in this energy, then our bodies are natural, biological conductors and storage mediums. Let that sit a moment and remember that different forms of energy can be measured in various frequencies and wavelengths. I believe that we many consider to be "ghosts" are the residual (whether conscious or not) energies of those who have passed on before us. Our bodies must operate at a very specific frequency or other spectral measurement to contain our Souls. I think that people who see ghosts are individuals who have physically passed through the residual or conscious energies of another, whose energies may have been of a similar frequency of the living individual who experienced the phenomenon.

One final thought... for the sake of argument. Who is to say that some of these energies can not be collected or otherwise accumulated? Dancing more in the terms of fiction... who is to say that a conscious energy can not collect or otherwise empower it's self with the residual energies around it? And if so...if this being can become stronger in doing so, could it manifest itself more properly to those of us still live? Would there be a limit to the power it can manifest? If these were to be proven real, could these "ghosts" become "demons?"

Yes. My beliefs come with questions. That is a good thing. Without questions, we have no learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment